“...white is no vegetation or barren and grey is where the data does not show a statistically significant greening or browning.”
–Prof. Myneni (private communication)
1. Sahara Desert Greening Due to Climate Change?, by James Owen, National Geographic News, July 31, 2009 (or here; was here)
2. https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/carbon-dioxide-fertilization-greening-earth (& video)
3. http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Elevated_carbon_dioxide_making_arid_regions_greener_999.html (and paper & excerpt)
4. https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg17523610-300-africans-go-back-to-the-land-as-plants-reclaim-the-desert/ (or here; was here)
5. Smithsonian Magazine noticed, “These landscapes are really being transformed”
10. Bastin, F-L., et al., 2017. The extent of forest in dryland biomes. Science 356, 635-638.
11. Zu, Z., et al., 2016. Greening of the Earth and its drivers. Nature Climate Change 6, 791-795.
12. https://www.csiro.au/en/News/News-releases/2013/Deserts-greening-from-rising-CO2 (or on ScienceDaily)
13. Keenan et al., 2016. Recent pause in the growth rate of atmospheric CO2 due to enhanced terrestrial carbon uptake. Nat Commun 7, 13428.
15. O'Sullivan et al, 2019. Have synergies between nitrogen deposition and atmospheric CO2 driven the recent enhancement of the terrestrial carbon sink? Global Biogeochemical Cycles, 33, 163-180.
16. Brandt et al, 2017. Human population growth offsets climate-driven increase in woody vegetation in sub-Saharan Africa. Nat Ecol Evol 1, 0081.
17. Chen et al, 2019. China and India lead in greening of the world through land-use management. Nat Sustain 2, 122-129.
18. Winkler, AJ, et al, 2019. Earth system models underestimate carbon fixation by plants in the high latitudes. Nature Communications 10, Article number: 885 (2019).
19. Isla H. Myers-Smith, et al, 2020. Complexity revealed in the greening of the Arctic. Nature Climate Change, 2020; 10 (2): 106. doi:10.1038/s41558-019-0688-1 (and ScienceDaily article).
Learn more about climate change:
Excerpt from "related" article #1 (above):